Tuesday, March 13, 2007

 

Down with the tower of Babel

In class tonight the teach mentioned something in passing that totally caught my mind. If you have not heard of the biblical story of the tower of babel, let me fill you in a built. I am not a biblical scholar so I am going to give you the gist I remember from high school.
Prior to the story everyone in the world spoke the same language. The tower of babel was built to try to reach God. Either that or it was to be built to show they could build a building to heaven. Either way my understanding is that God punished them because for their attempt to reach its greatness. The punishment was that every person their would no longer be able to understand each other through language. Thus giving a reason for the numerous languages spread across the earth.

Do I have a point you may ask? I do. The teach mentioned a language called Esperanto. I have not read the full article yet. However like the tower of babel story I believe I get the gist.
Ludvic Lazarus Zamenhof goal of creating Esperanto was that no country or people of the world would willingly give up their own language for another countries language. Based on that he sought to create a whole new language so that maybe everyone could just move towards this.
I will say that I really like this idea and plan on ready more on this. It could end up being my future goal in life to spread the knowledge and see if people of our generation or the next could eventually adapt this as or something similiar as their global language. I believe getting people to all speak the same language would help solve numerous issues in this world.

We can all help.



Comments:
Good Luck with that... let me know how that works out for ya...
 
I think you should have a poll after each post where we vote if Dave or Logic is winning - then we tally the weighted results for each post!
 
Hey, just discovered your blog. Esperanto, unfortunately, is still very basic as far as languages go. It's not very expressive, and I'm afraid that if we all tried to speak it, we might all become very dull human beings. Culture is inextricably linked to language. How we speak influences how we think, and vice versa. As much as world peace would be nice, I think cultural differences should be understood and not just assimilated into a single entity. That would be a step towards good, in my humble opinion. Besides, English is already very close being globally spoken.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]