Monday, February 12, 2007

 

Virtue vs Vices or V3

I am not sure where I heard or read this. It might have been one of the book I read or the what most people would call crappy tv show that I watched. However what ever it was mentioned the idea the vice are virtues that are just not controlled. I believe its from one of the books I have read recently but I am to lazy to look through them. My point, If I can actually make one, is how to you keep your virtues from becoming vices. I know at work my desire to help people became a vice a while ago because I found myself missing things like school and dates for work. After those situations I changes my vice by not letting myself do those things however now I feel at times I might have lost part of my original virtue. I still like to help people at work but now its on my decisions. Its almost as if I perform triage on work clients. Some which is probably something I should have learned at one point in my 10 years of working. I have gotten to the point where I don't let work control me the way it used to. However the downside of losing that vice/virtue is that I now don't really have a desire to go to work as much. I don't feel like I make a difference the same way I used to. I am not saying that I don't have really good days sometimes that make me feel different. Back to my point. How do you balance your virtues in your life in order to not make them vices? I know I did not post of good example. If I can find the exact quote I will. However, I just realized that there are good things in life but unless you can control them they are no longer good.

Comments:
Dave, another good example you could have used is your chronic masturbation problem.

Until you release "Dave's Formula 401" that will remain a vice.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure that helping people too much (for work or otherwise) could be considered a vice, despite the consequences (Keri may disagree with me on this point).

But this blog *is* called "War on logic", so perhaps I'm out of bounds..
 
It really seems to be more about balance than anything... I wouldn't look at helping others as being a vice - but it definitely can get in the way of other priorities... this is something that I still have problems balancing to this day...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]