Sunday, February 18, 2007

 

Mind of the mad man

This summer I read a little bit of the book called the "Zodiac". I read only the letter that were originally written by the Zodiac. There is a movie coming out soon that is based on the situation. I will say I do not know much about it except for what I read. However; I will say that the brief part that I read really weirded me out. If your not sure what I am talking about the Zodiac is in reference to the Zodiace killer. The letters in question that I mentioned above were the letters that the killer actually sent to the local papers. They involved a cipher of cryptic letters which supposedly would give his identity away. He also mentioned that there was a time where the police talked to him after a killing. He was walking down the street after one and the police stopped to talk to him and he pointed them in another direction. The really weird part of the letters is that the reason for his killings were that he was collecting slaves for the afterlife.
I guess its that part most of all that really weirds me out. I am not saying that a serial killer is not messed up enough. I guess the fact that he was playing with the cops obviously showed that he was a smart individual. However then the hole afterlife slave that really adds the fucked up piece to the whole things. This is coming up now because I am actually up doing a change for work and a movie called "The Zodiac" which is based on the killer is on cable. I am actually interested in seeing the version that comes out this spring. As it comes to serial killers based on what I know of them this one seemed to be the smartest and one of the most messed up of them. It really weirds me out to think that someone this clever was able to pull off this kind of horrible violence.
How does one differerenciate right from wrong if you already believe you are right? I am guess that this person believed they were doing good or the "Lords work" depending on the mentality. Just that alone really weirds me out. If I see the new movie I will let you know.
It gives me chills.

Comments:
It seems as though those that are "most clever" sometimes have the hardest time adapting to society. I'd be interested to see what his upbringing was like...
 
The end of the movie I saw last night said that the killer was never caught. I thought looking at the book that he was. However that is pretty freaky that if he was never caught.
 
Maybe they caught him because of the movie?

At first, I thought you were talking about this book by Neal Stephenson, which is OK (but doesn't compare to his other stuff). Oh, and in other news I heard rumblings that SciFi is going to be creating a miniseries of The Diamond Age...

Anyway, back to your thing.

The problem with people doing crazy shit but believing they are right (and who's to say they're not?) is that they live in a society that creates the rules. We *say* that murder is bad, and a majority of people subscribe to that belief - but it's only because we believe it that it is so. There is no moral absolute; morality is constantly changing (see: divorce, women's suffrage, slavery, racism, homosexuality).

It's a crazy world!

I think you need to reinstitute "Dave-ism" and come up with your own morality.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]